'Reservation Hatao Andolan' at Jantar Mantar: Over 50 Detained as Protesters Demand Economic-Based Quotas
Reservation Reform Protest at Jantar Mantar: Protesters Demand Changes in Quota System
New Delhi, August 21, 2026: Hundreds of protesters gathered in New Delhi on Friday under the banner of the ‘Reservation Hatao Andolan’ (RHA), calling for changes to India’s existing reservation framework. The demonstration was organised through social media, with participants advocating for greater consideration of economic criteria in reservation policies.
Delhi Police detained more than 50 protesters after they reportedly remained at Jantar Mantar beyond the permitted time. According to the police, permission had been granted for a peaceful gathering of up to 500 people at Ramlila Maidan until 4 pm, while no permission had been granted for a protest at Jantar Mantar on August 21.
What the protesters are demanding
The ‘Reservation Hatao Andolan’ has outlined several demands concerning reservation policy. These include replacing or supplementing caste-based criteria with economic considerations, limiting reservation benefits within families, introducing minimum qualifying standards and maintaining the existing overall reservation ceiling.
The campaign has also called for a time-bound review of the reservation system. Protesters raised slogans including “one family, one reservation” and expressed opposition to policies they believe could expand the scope of existing reservations.
Police action and detentions
Delhi Police stated that no permission had been granted for a protest, procession, demonstration or assembly at Jantar Mantar on August 21. According to the police, the permission issued for the gathering was specifically for Ramlila Maidan.
Police said that around 7:30 pm, some protesters who remained at Jantar Mantar beyond the permitted time continued raising slogans. More than 50 people were detained and were subsequently released after verification, according to the police.
Delhi Police also cautioned the public against circulating unverified information regarding the protest and its permission status.
Organisers deny political backing
The organisers of the ‘Reservation Hatao Andolan’ have denied allegations of political or foreign funding. Through their social media accounts, they have stated that the movement is not funded by any political party, foreign agency or corporate sponsor.
The organisers maintain that participants joined the demonstration voluntarily to express their views on the existing reservation framework.
Debate over economic and caste-based criteria
Some protesters argued that reservation benefits should reach the most disadvantaged sections and called for greater consideration of economic circumstances within reservation policies.
The debate over caste-based reservation, economic criteria and the scope of affirmative action remains a complex and sensitive public policy issue. Any proposed changes would require consideration within the constitutional and legal framework governing reservations in India.
What happens next
The organisers have indicated that they intend to continue their campaign both online and through public demonstrations. Further mobilisation has also been discussed for the coming days.
Delhi Police has said it will continue to monitor the situation and take necessary steps to maintain law and order. Future demonstrations would be required to follow applicable permission and venue regulations.
The latest protest has brought the long-running debate over reservation policy into public focus, with participants seeking greater emphasis on economic criteria. Whether the campaign gains wider public support or leads to any policy discussion remains to be seen.
Note: Statements regarding the organisers’ demands and funding have been attributed to the organisers, while information concerning permissions and detentions has been presented as stated by Delhi Police.